I’ve written before about how changing bags are the new handbag for me… I have a total of 5 changing bags but am currently using this Skip Hop bag. Its pockets and pouches are full to the brim and Kiddicare asked me if I was willing to share the contents of our changing bag on my blog. My attitude to what I need has changed slightly throughout the months I’ve been carting one around, and I think is possibly opposite to most new mums.
In the first week I literally just shoved wipes, nappies and a fold up changing mat at the end of the bassinette and off we trotted (well, limped slowly as I had a C section) How naïve I was, it was a couple of weeks later when the baby who only pooped every 5 days literally exploded that I rethought this plan and took a whole lot more out with me. I don’t think I take excessive amounts and often when we’re out babywearing without the pram I just throw nappies and wipes in a tote bag and hope for the best, admittedly breastfeeding means we don’t need to take bottles of formula out with us which lightens the load!
Kiddicare sell a big variety of changing bags including the black version of my SkipHop Dash Deluxe, sadly the blossom print is no longer available! It has buggy clips, insulated pockets, a zip compartment and a changing mat included, as well as pockets and pouches inside for various things. Here is what I took with us on a family trip out to a local open air museum this week…
I never leave the house without:
- nappies, wipes, nappy bags, nappy cream
- snacks & a drink for Athena, disposable bibs (way easier then remembering to take out dirty ones and replace) & snack catcher
- A muslin cloth (for wiping sticky hands and faces as washable, I save the wipes for the really mucky jobs!)
- A variety of toys and books. I try and remember to change the items every couple of days so she doesn’t get too bored! Currently it’s the Faces book and Jacques the Peacock from Lamaze.
- A change of clothes for Athena (in a separate pouch for ease) but remember to make sure they’re the right size, it took me 4 weeks to remember to change when she changed size last time, thank goodness we didn’t need them!
My phone and purse were under the buggy in the bag with our picnic blanket, but they would normally be in there too!
Other extras that are often present include my diary, a phone charger, sunglasses, a sun hat (when not attached to the baby) spare socks (where do they go?!) and a chocolate bar or 3 (i’m partial to the Naked natural bars, good for energy!)
What do you cart around that you don’t need to? Or is there anything glaringly obvious that i’m missing?
Kiddicare kindly provided me with a voucher to buy some bits for my changing bag as a thank you for talking about what I cart around!