I find myself ranting (in my head, not out loud… yet) on a regular basis. I don’t know if it is because I turned 30, or became a mum, or perhaps because I pregnant and irritable, but I thought I should share these annoyances and see if anyone else feels the same way. Do tell me if you think i’m being unreasonable, and please add your annoyances in the comments!
- People who walk in the centre of the pavement, fine if it is 6 feet wide, not fine when it is narrow and you can’t get by them
- People who stop in dead in the centre of the pavement/shop/train station without moving to one side. This is even worse when they suddenly bend down because you go head over heels on top of them instead of just smacking into their back!
- People who don’t get their money ready when they’re waiting in a queue to pay. You know you have to pay for your shopping, so why not get your purse out at the very least whilst you are waiting. It’s clearly so much easier than faffing about counting out the right change (slowly, potentially dropping some) then realising that you don’t have it anyway and handing over a note. I always end up behind these people, without fail. At least I can share an eye roll with the person on the till when it’s my turn. Every cloud/
- Teenagers who walk arm in arm and more than three people abreast. I don’t mind if it is the elderly or the infirm at all. But teenagers do not need to be intrinsically linked with each other to get where they are going meaning that nobody can get round them without stepping into the road and probably in front of a bus or a cyclist.
- People who smoke right outside doors of restaurants/train stations/hospitals. The latter is the worst, I had an appointment last week and had to wade through a thick fog of smoke on my way in and out of the hospital. I understand people have needs, but seriously just go a little further along so you’re not stood right in front of the place where ill and pregnant people are coming and going.
- People who press the button at a pedestrian crossing when it has clearly already been pressed. If the ‘wait’ light is lit up why bother pressing it again? It won’t make the lights change any faster! My mum is guilty of this and it annoys me every time!
- People who stare. Without blowing my own trumpet I know i’m not weird looking, I’d class myself as fairly normal looking in fact. So why are there sometimes people who will just stare at me for no reason. I’m hoping they also stare at other people, as it would make me feel better. But then I’d have to follow them to find out if they stared at everyone, and that would make me a stalker.
- People who don’t say ‘Thank you’ when I hold a door open for them, or move to one side. I have actually started retorting ‘NO, thank YOU’ in a suitably sarcastic tone now.
So, what else really gets your goat as you go about your daily business? Please do tell me!