Okay, before anyone tells me or gets annoyed because they were/are someone that works on the tills in retail please know that I have only felt the need to write this because I want to make the world a better place! Well, actually because these things seem to have happened quite a lot to me recently and it’s time to make a stand! I’m sure there are many lovely, happy and well mannered people out there but they are certainly not behind the tills I have been buying things at!
I get it, you’re probably being paid a naff wage, you can’t sit down and your manager probably makes your life hell. But please, please just crack a smile!
- ‘Next customer please’ said in the most uninterested voice possible. It happened 3 days ago and I was in fact the ONLY customer in the entire shop. The girl managed to ring my shampoo and toothpaste through, take my money, tell me I was 9p short and then give me my receipt ALL WITHOUT MAKING EYE CONTACT. That’s impressive. Impressively rude.
- People who continue their conversation about what they’re wearing that night/who they’re texting/what they’re having for dinner etc with their fellow shop assistant whilst serving me. Even worse when both of them are serving someone. I really wish I had enough guts to tell them how rude they are. If it happens again I just might. I don’t even talk on the phone when I am at a till being served. In fact I don’t even leave my headphones in if i’m wearing them, even though I have muted whatever I’m listening to. Common courtesy people.
- Checkout people in shops who comment on almost everything they ring through. It can get awkward (in Boots, buying maternity pads ‘oh so how long ago did you have your baby? the post natal bleeding is the worst, eh?’)
- When you get given your change with the coins on top of the note/receipt. All you’re doing is holding up the queue because I then have to somehow extract the note from under the coins, without dropping them, then get it all in my purse whilst holding the shopping bag you just gave me (and possibly manoeuvring the buggy one handed) Please, just give me the coins to shove in my purse, then the note.
- “Do you want a bag?” me: “no thanks”… gets given shopping in a bag. This annoys me for two reasons, firstly why ask if you’re not going to listen to me? Secondly, think of all those bags that get given out unnecessarily! save the planet, people!
- Please say thank you, or at least good-bye! It makes such a difference, and I always thank whoever served me even if they did it all without eye contact (more fool me, eh. Clearly too polite for my own good)
- Snotty noses/dirty hands/general smelliness. I really don’t want to buy things from someone who has their shift times scribbled all over their hands, or dirt under their nails, or who is wiping their runny nose with the back of their hand, or worse still sniffing it all back up. URGH.
- People complaining about their boss/the company to me. This is common sense surely, yes you may have a problem with the situation, but don’t talk about it in front of customers, and definitely not TO the customers. I know why the lady in my local post office left, came back and is thinking about leaving again. This is all information I would really rather not know.
Anyone had any more to add? If you enjoyed this you might want to read my rant about facebook too.