I get married on 17th November, around 8 weeks away. I will be a Mrs. I’m just not sure what will come after the ‘Mrs’. I have lived all my life with a double barrelled surname, I learnt to write it before I started at primary school and have had to spell it out to people so many times that if I was even given just 10p a time I would be much richer than I am now! At the parcel office they never store my post under the same part of my surname twice in a row, but people always remark on it. Neither name on its own is that unusual but its the putting the two of them together that makes it unique, and to my knowledge (and that of google) I cannot find anyone else in the world with the same surname as me (when my parents got divorced they reverted back to their singular names)
I’m just not sure if I want to give up my name in favour of Sam’s (he is a Bennett) because I feel I would be losing something, I just can’t put my finger on exactly what, certainly not my identity as I will always be me whatever I’m called. But I still don’t want to be a Bennett. I have worked for my company for over ten years, and people know me by my surname. My friends will still call me by my ‘LKP’ nickname but I wouldn’t be LKP anymore.
Here are my options…
- I could use Bennett as an official name (passport and bank etc) and keep my own name for work, but surely that would just get confusing? Bank cards wouldn’t match payslips and suchlike and the inland revenue wouldn’t be too happy!
- I could drop one of my names and double barrel with Bennett, but then that would probably offend the parent who’s name I dropped, and I STILL wouldn’t be an LKP!
- I could triple barrel but seriously, who am I kidding? That would make me sound like a pedigree cat with a stupidly long name, or like the heir to some ridiculously large family fortune (I wish).
- I could make Bennett a middle name, but I already have one and it seems a bit half hearted.
- I could join parts of all our names together to make a new name (I not so secretly bloody LOVE this idea, Sam on the other hand does not…) I could become ‘Benmaney’ or ‘Patneyben’ or ‘kearmannet’
What did you do when you got married, or what WOULD you do if you are engaged, or planning on being engaged? If you kept your name how did your husband react? How did you feel if you DID change names?
As for what I do, watch this space, but I have an inkling I know what will happen.